Do you like just flat-out silly stories? Ever wanted to go someplace other than your boring old planet? Well, look no further than here, because you can read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy! Remember, don’t panic, stick your thumb to the stars, and don’t forget to bring a towel.
Arthur Dent has been living on Earth his whole life. That was, until Vogons want to destroy Earth to make room for a highway. Luckily Arthur escapes certain death when his friend Ford Prefect snatches him (and a towel) and hitches a ride on the Vogon’s spacecraft. Ford, as it turns out, is really an alien doing some research for The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which is an interactive guide to traveling in outer space.
They eventually meet up with Zaphod Beeblebrox (President of the Galaxy) and Trillian (who also survived Earth’s destruction), as well as Marvin the depressed Robot, and they all embark on a mission to the planet Magrathea to find out the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe & EVERYTHING! (hint: 42)
The book sprouted a sequel called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Life, the Universe, & Everything followed, and following that book was called So Long & Thanks for All the Fish. Then Mostly Harmless was written before Douglas Adams died in 2001. When he died, he was writing the sixth book.
In 2009, Eoin Colfer (author of the Artemis Fowl series) published the next book, And Another Thing, with the blessing of Douglas’s widow Jane Belson. Each of the books contains the Vogon’s threat to destroy the earth and the heroes defying their attempts to do just that.
My review: I thought the book was super interesting since it was written to be funny and plus, I laughed my head off while reading the whole darn thing! (I’ve yet to read Mostly Harmless and And Another Thing, however)
My recommendation: Read the book! I mean books! Read them now!
My rating: *****
- A Geek’s Dream: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Live Radio Show Touring the UK (wired.com)
- Babel Fish Language Toy (makezine.com)
- Douglas Adams’ lost Doctor Who story becomes rather a fun book [Book Review] (io9.com)
- Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy – Live! (moshblog.me.uk)
- Time to talk about Books: The Hitchhiker’s Guide To Galaxy by Douglas Adams (thepunktheory.wordpress.com)
- Transdimensional Mice & Men (taraseguinwrites.wordpress.com)
- And Now For Something Completely Different … (mohighlibrary.wordpress.com)
- What is the philosophical message of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ? (literblogblooks.wordpress.com)